Welcome buffet and exhibition opening, Thursday 9 March 2017
A first opportunity to meet over food prepared by Timespan’s Riverside Cafe
19.30 Exhibition Opening
19.45 Buffet in the Cafe
Making Museums | Place and Politics symposium, Friday 10 March 2017, 10.00 – 17.00
10.15 Collecting the Contemporary – Keynote: Danielle Kuijten of Imagine IC
11.45 The Museum, its Place and its Publics – Round table discussion (3 20min contributions)
Bringing together a range of speakers whose projects and practices reflect on the role of museum with respect to their place, collections, and publics.
- Christine Millar, The MacManus, Dundee, “The People’s Story”
- Dr Emma Martin, Senior Curator Ethnology for National Museums Liverpool (NML) and Lecture in Museology at The University of Manchester, “Tibet: Dreams & Realities –
- Bahbak Hashemi-Nezhad, Designer-in-Residence, Re-visiting Our Museum
14.00 Workshop Sessions (1.5hrs / active, discursive sessions for groups of 5-10 participants)
- Museum for the North: Exhibitions in Transition, Tom Smith, Lateral North and Arabella Harvey, Independant Curator, Designer and Curator for Timespan’s current museum redevelopment project
Key focus: making visible Timespan’s museum redevelopment process
- Stratify Yourself: Transposing Terminology, Alison Scott, Timespan’s Graduate Fellow
How do we visualise ‘actions’ on a geological time frame with our own short moments of activity: can we relate a human body to seemingly inert matter through the idea of process. How can we relate to terminology and how do we visualise or enact processes, thinking about pace, formation, reaction, movement, scale.
- Collections in Civic Space (tbc), Amanda Crabtree, artconnexion, Lille
- Red Herrings? Captioning the Curing Yard in an age of migration Virtual Curing Yard, Jo Clements, Archive Development Manager, Timespan
16:00 Museums + Migration: Provocation and Response
Facilitated group discussions leading to responses from the symposium participants. As practitioners engaging with museums, what can we do to make change from within?
17.00 Thanks and invitation to following day.
Dinner, Friday 10 March 2017, 19.00, Old Free Church
Catered for by The Whaligoe Steps Cafe (£10)