Timespan is looking for an enthusiastic cook to manage our River Cafe. River Cafe is in a beauty spot in the Scottish Highlands overlooking the Helmsdale river and herb garden, and it’s central to Timespan’s organisational aims – we want to use food as a means of supporting local producers and creating community. We believe that everyone deserves access to fresh, sustainable and ethically sourced food and our aim is to work with community partners and producers to develop a local food web for the village.
This is an exciting role for someone who is experienced, creative, has a genuine love of food and sustainable produce, can cook delicious seasonal menus, motivate our cafe team and is buzzing with new menu ideas. Could suit a good chef who’s also an artist who would like to develop an education and skills programme around local food production and growing.
Reporting to: Director
Remuneration: £15,200 for a 4 day week (£19,000 fte)
Hours: 4 days per week (flexible)
Contract: The post is initially offered as a fixed-term contract until the end of October 2019. We’d also like to hear from any street food caterers who would like a summer spot in the Highlands.
Location: Timespan, Helmsdale
● Application deadline: Thursday 31st January
Main Responsibilities of the Post
– Running a busy, friendly café that is at the heart of Timespan’s activities.
– Line Management of Timespan’s café staff.
– Offer a fresh, varied, seasonal menu from foods sourced locally.
– Manage cafe budget within set financial guidelines
– Developing a vision for the café in collaboration with the Director.
– Developing and delivering a programme of events for the Café in collaboration with the Director.
– Quality control in regards to customer care, hygiene and safety in the workplace and in line with Timespan’s Environmental Policy.
– Attending team meetings and other meetings, both internally and externally, as necessary.
– Taking reasonable care for the health and safety of self and others in the workplace in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
A track record of past experience in the catering industry
Excellent cooking and baking skills
Experience in handling budgets
The desire to run Timespan’s Café as a project space in collaboration with colleagues
Excellent communication and teamwork skills
A love for food and community
Food Hygiene Certificate
Staff Management experience
Track record in project planning and delivery
An understanding of Helmsdale’s small village context
Please submit an application form with ‘Cafe Manager Application” in the subject line to: Sadie Young, Timespan’s Director; email@example.com
The deadline for applications is Thursday 31st January