The fishing village of Helmsdale was developed by the Marquis of Stafford and Countess of Sutherland from a plan made in 1805. The industry was created to support the displaced crofters, who had been removed from their land in the Strath of Kildonan. Helmsdale has two harbours, one built in c1818 and the second in c1892. Generations of men sailed out of Helmsdale in search of the silver darlings. The girls gutted and barreled up the fish for export and the fisherwifie sold fish to people all over the Parish from a creel on her back. The herring boom was all but over by the outbreak of WWII and fishing continued with the later development of the larger seine netters. The selection of photographs in our gallery captures some of the fishing scenes in Helmsdale over the last 100 years.