Timespan is a meeting place between our past, our present and our future.
Established in 1986, Timespan developed from a local heritage centre to an award-winning museum and the only public contemporary art gallery in Sutherland, with a core visiting audience of around 13,000 per annum.
Timespan is a cultural development organisation and a creative hub. We provide a high quality venue and programme for people locally, nationally and internationally. We build partnerships and collaborate with researchers, artists, audiences and participants of all ages and backgrounds to preserve, sustain, celebrate and amplify the culture of our place.
Our focus is on relationships with people and long-term creative development; we believe in new ideas and creative exchange, in access to excellence, in adding value, in promoting education and facilitating vibrant community dialogue based on fair exchange. We aim to challenge perceptions of what can be delivered by a cultural organisation rooted in the distinctive, but fragile, socio-economic ecology of this large, rural and remote area.
Our direction is a themed approach that recognises and nurtures the complexity and diversity of our local culture while looking outwards nationally and internationally. The Paradigm North provides the necessary focus for programming and curation of all areas of Timespan.
North is a direction, a relative placement, it is defined by climatic conditions, by cultural richness, economical remoteness and described in myths and legends. With this concept in mind we will be investigating the following annual themes:
– 2013 Identity: An exploration of our identity that is manifest in this distinct area and its history
– 2014 Remoteness: Connectedness in a remote Northern location through the centuries
– 2015 Connectedness: A comparative study of Northern fishing villages on 58º latitude
– 2016 Making: Rethinking objects through old skills and new technologies; revisiting the North’s past to design its future.
– 2017 Deep Time: Imagining the faraway past and distant future of our Northern region.
Find out more in our Business Plan 2013-15.
Find out more about our Environmental Policy.
Find out more about Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at Timespan.